Friday, May 19, 2006

George's Logic and the Best Darn Auxiliary You Ever Did See

It's been over a month since my last post, almost two months.

What spurred me to write today is something I heard George Stephanopoulos say recently. He said the president's 29 percent approval rating is "a good opportunity" for the White House.

Maybe he means it only in the most abstract way...like falling down an elevator shaft is a good opportunity to flap your arms and fly.

And...

A headline in my association's Ladies Auxiliary (called the Alliance nowadays, alas) newsletter: "Alliance Focuses On Male Members."

I swear, you can't make this kind of thing up.

Writing this reminds me of Woody Guthrie's "Ladies Auxiliary."

In the early '40s the head of the CIO's Ladies Auxiliary asked Guthrie to write a theme song for them. Right off the top of his head he belted out:

"Oh, the Ladies' Auxiliary is a good auxiliary.
It's the best auxiliary that you ever did see.
If you need an auxiliary, see the Ladies' Auxiliary.
It's the Ladies' Auxiliary."

Whenever anyone at a staff meeting mentions the Alliance, I start singing that song. I predict that the new boss, Bill, will be more appreciative than Dorothy was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home